First of all, the twitterchat. I loved it. I might say that again at some point. I relate it to fantasy sports (since my wife says that's what takes up too much of my time, why not?). I've participated in fantasy leagues with people I know and people I don't know. As you can imagine, playing in a league with friends, classmates, or family members is much more meaningful. After all, it gives you bragging rights! Playing in a league with people you don't know just doesn't have the same draw. Its almost like you're playing against the computer and just passing the time. Twitterchats are very similar. I've followed hashtags before during and after chats, and I don't "know" the people behind the tweets, so they don't have the same meaning. After one chat in learning how it works with all of you, I feel like I know you. Therefore it gave meaning to what we did, and oh...I loved it!
Secondly, we discussed our digital footprint. As a result, I decided to Google myself. Here's the picture that could be painted of me by looking at my first two search result pages.
"Matt Van Schepen is a baseball coach at Northwestern College, its his third season coaching the JV team and was a member of Raider baseball from 2004-2008. He has twitter and his twitter handle is @mnbaseball, so he must have some connection to the state of Minnesota along with enjoying baseball. He authored a book called "Diamond in the Rough", which is for sale on Lulu.com, and is about coaching a successful baseball team. It has a GoodReads.com rating of 5.0. He is currently a middle school science and math teacher at Orange City Christian School in Orange City, IA and was formerly an 8th grade science teacher at Timothy Christian Schools in Elmhurst, IL. Matt has a school leadership profile website, but it has no content on it. He has a Pinterest account and pins ideas for math, science, and house renovations. He is married to Lindsey, who chronicled their first five years of marriage on a blog. In 2012, Matt finished Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN...and there's a video to prove it."
I guess I'm OK with what's out there on me. I feel like the search paints a fairly good picture on what my interests are and what I do. I wish there was somehow for me to paint a better picture of what I believe and what I stand for rather than just what my job is and what I've accomplished.
Maybe that's one thing to start blogging/tweeting more about to shape my footprint.
I love what you said about the twitter chat. I totally felt the same way-it was meaningful, and I loved the feeling of connectedness.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think that blogs especially, and perhaps tweeting (or perhaps a tweet about a blog update) can lend themselves to allowing us to communicate about our beliefs. Being who we are governs what we consume, but the only people who know about that is Google analytics. So I wish you the Lord's blessings on the shaping of your footprint.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said about the Twitterchat. It was a great experience and was very meaningful!
ReplyDeleteI have to say I was super bummed that I missed the Twitter chat because I was at parent teacher conferences, I also felt a little relieved though because I had never even heard of a Twitter chat. Reading your blog gives me new perspective, I am looking forward to tomorrow's Twitter chat.
ReplyDelete