Think success

Think success

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Week 1 Thoughts

Module #1:

3 things I learned:

#1: I spend some time today working with TweetDeck for the first time. I first saw it used a couple of years ago and always thought it looked like a great idea as a way to organize my Twitter feed. I follow a mix of personal friends, athletes, bloggers, news networks, etc... and I'm always skipping over or missing things due to the disorganized mess that is my Twitter page.  I always had it on my list to do, but I never saw it as a high enough priority to place it over school demands, family time, or anything else on my plate. So...I was happy to see that in one of our assignments, it was suggested we give it a shot.

It took a lot less time than I thought.

Here's what my Twitter feed now looks like through TweetDeck...

#2: Making a video on YouTube. I didn't realize how simple it was to shoot one from my computer and upload it. 
It essentially did it for me...scary easy.

#3: I'm really going to enjoy this class. I have to admit, everything I thought this class was going to be about already happened in Week #1, I can't imagine what's ahead for the next three!

2 things that were confirmed:

#1: Wanting to use Twitter for PD/PLN.  I've been slowly following people that I see as more of a resource for education, still looking to make that next step into a network though.

#2: Developing a PLN is the wave of the future. If I can develop a network personalized just for me with people that want to help me become a better educator...I'm all in!

1 thing I want to learn:

#1: I still have questions on how to build an online Personal Learning Network. I don't know how to find people on Twitter who also wish to be part of a PLN. 



5 comments:

  1. This is the second blog entry I have seen that make mention of TweetDeck. Looks like something I should investigate?
    I was also surprised in a way by the scope in module 1. Mind you, I think that assuming we are going to get really good at using the tools in the time span of a 4 week course is pretty optimistic but at least if they are introduced in week 1 and used throughout, perhaps we will get better. Or maybe we are going to get more of a introduction to a variety of tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short 3 minute video posted in Module 1 was very clear and helpful. For anyone who likes to stay organized, I would highly recommend it.

      Also, when I have Twitter up on my browser or on my phone, it doesn't update in real time. Maybe this is a setting that I don't have checked as an option for me, or maybe that's just the way it is. TweetDeck, on the other hand, pops up with tweets as soon as they are posted by a user. Much easier to follow a conversation!

      Delete
  2. Hey brother!!! Looks great!! I'm a huge fan of TweetDeck... invaluable tool in managing the firehose that is Twitter. Agreed, developing a PLN is not only the future, it's the RIGHT NOW!! Great to "see" you!! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta look into that TweetDeck, just as soon as I am confident on Twitter. Your Blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete